PTSD Doctor Therapists

How is PTSD treated? With medication and therapy.

How do I find a doctor? A family doctor is a good place to begin, or a hospital or clinic. You want a doctor experienced with PTSD. The doctor might refer you to a psychiatrist or psychologist, and maybe prescribe a medication to help you in the meantime.

What does a therapist do? The first time, the therapist will try to get to know you and your background. Some people are disappointed if the first session is only about that. Nothing scary happens, not that I've ever heard about anyway. During this first interview, you will find out if you are comfortable with this therapist - if not, please try to get another as soon as possible.

How do I find a therapist? There are so many kinds! A psychologist (M.A. or Ph.D. in Psych.) specializing in PTSD would be good. You could get a referral from your doctor, hospital, or clinic. Sometimes a friend can refer you. Try your Community Centre or Counseling Centre at school.

Should I ask my friends at work? Should I ask my friends at work? Bad idea, in my experience. People will hear about it - who needs the gossip! Also, when the boss finds out, you will become a "difficult" employee. No matter if you're the best and you've been there the longest, employers want happy, healthy employees. Try to keep up appearances as long as possible.

What does a doctor do? Diagnose & Prescribe and make an appointment for follow-up.

PTSD Doctors
PTSD Doctor Therapist